Tuesday, 9 June 2015

Book Review//The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I recently read The Perks of Being a Wallflower and I honestly loved it. I hate to admit it, but for a long time I was one of those people who only knew about the film version. That said, I didn't actually watch the film until I'd read the book, and for the record, I definitely preferred the book version. Although I think the film adaptation was great, the book was so well written and heart-warming, and the story was put across much better in my opinion.

Just so you know, I won't be giving any spoilers in case someone would like to read it. The book opens on Charlie writing a letter to an anonymous 'friend'. I think it's up to you to decide who you think this friend is, and I think you can make that decision towards the end of the book or after reading and getting to know his character better. Charlie, the main character comes across as very introverted and isolated from most people, even at times from his own family, which we learn from very early on is very dysfunctional. The only person he felt truly loved him as he was is his Aunt Helen.

Then he meet Sam and Patrick and his life changes and gets better. We continue to see his story through a series of letters, through to a heart-breaking, but bitter-sweet ending, as you will find out towards the end.

I think this book is interesting being told from a boy's perspective and I also think it is appropriate for all ages, as it has such a deep theme and many sub-themes running through it giving you lots to think about and learn about the characters. There are moments that make you want to comfort him and others where you feel he was an idiot, yet you sympathise with him in the after-math of the situation. The story also touches on the troubles of his family and friends, and overall this is an extremely good book.

I honestly would recommend this book so much for anyone, and I plan to re-read it one day when I'm a little older.

I hope this post has helped you decide to read this book. If you do, please let me know what you think, or if you've already read it, let me know in the comments.



1 comment:

  1. hey i love your blog!
    this is mine!!:
    xbethanybea.blogspot,com

    ReplyDelete

Every single comment means so much, I appreciate them all. Thank you so much for all your support!